Texas Sexual Assault Laws
Sexual assault is one of the most commonly prosecuted sex crimes. Generally, sexual assault implies any assault of a sexual nature on another person or any sexual act committed against another person without their consent. In the state of Texas, sexual assault is a statutory offense that is defined by a detailed legal definition. Under §22.011, a person commits sexual assault when they intentionally or knowingly create sexual contact with a victim. This can include sexual contact without a person's consent and sexual contact against a child under the age of 17.
Sexual assault without consent can involve situations in which:
- An offender uses force or threats
- The victim is unconscious or physically unable to resist
- The victim is mentally incapable of resisting
- The victim does not give consent and is unaware of assault
- The offender intentionally impaired the victim without their knowledge
- The offender threatens another person
- The offender is a public servant or health care provider who abuses their power
- The offender is a religious member, such as in clergy sexual abuse
Texas sexual assault laws are dense and can also include aggravated sexual assault when certain additional factors are involved. In any situation, sexual assault is often steeped in exploitation, manipulation, and coercion and is a wholly deplorable offense. The effects on the lives of victims and survivors can also be physically and psychologically severe.
Pursuing Civil Cases
Stern Law Group offers 100% commitment of our firm's resources and legal team's abilities to assist sexual assault victims during their civil legal process. Having handled numerous sexual assault cases throughout our 150 years of collective experience, you can be confident that we implement our insight into resolving cases as quickly and as favorably as possible. Our knowledgeable sexual abuse attorneys are also earnestly dedicated to helping clients through whatever it is they may need, even if it extends beyond traditional legal assistance. If you would like to discuss the nature of your case with a talented and compassionate member of our legal team, contact Stern Law Group.